The Green Grain Adlai
Adlai (coix lacryma-jobi L.) is just like rice—but not quite. Also known as “Job’s Tears,” this tall, tropical plant bears tear-shaped grains that are only slightly larger than those of rice and corn.
But unlike rice, white bread, corn, and potatoes, Adlai is completely gluten-free and has a low glycemic index—making it heart-healthy and completely safe for those who are watching their blood sugar.
Responsibly grown at the foot of Mt. Kanlaon, Negros Occidental.
Benefits of Adlai Grain:
1. It is an energy-dense and nutritionally-dense food. It is a perfect energy boost that leaves you full longer. If you are restricting your calories, you may eat 1⁄3 to 1⁄2 cup of it per meal.
2. It is a good source of protein contributing 14% of its macronutrient distribution. Carbohydrates and fats contribute 83% and 3% respectively.
4. It is also high in dietary fiber which nourishes healthy probiotic bacteria in our gut, removes bad cholesterol from the body and slows down absorption of glucose in the body.
5. It is a high in calcium which helps maintain healthy bones and teeth and is very important in nerve transmission, blood clotting and muscular function.
3. It has a low glycemic index rating of 35 whereas glucose is 100. What does it mean? Carbohydrates with a low GI value (55 or less) are more slowly digested, absorbed and metabolized and cause a lower and slower rise in blood glucose and, therefore usually, insulin levels. This makes it completely safe for those who are watching their blood sugar levels.
4. It’s a gluten-free grain which is great for people with gluten-sensitivity.
Sold in 1kg packs